Welcome to the Sager Family Blogspot. Please post your ballgames, Phase 10 victories, motorcyle trips, family pictures, and missionary updates.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sweet Week! from Elder Barnes




Dear Family,

I believe in Miracles! We've been blessed with a really great week- I'm going to try and attach some photos because sometimes words just don't cut it.
Firstly, last Tuesday the cake came! The pink elephants were amazingly all in-tact, just a little bit skinnier, and the writing was all legible. That's a miracle! And it was delicious as always, we actually gave a piece to a member here that we work with a lot and he took a bite and said "sick americans." hahah, our sweets are a little more rich/sweet than the Estonian ones. But so worth it! Really thank you for sending that, it actually came on March 29th, we just didn't get it for a while because of the Easter holiday. Speaking of which my companions say thank you for the candy bags. You love me!

Christopher and Bethany mentioned to me in their e-mails that they got in contact with Robert and Fiona through e-mail. They are the Chinese couple who came to general conference last week. We called to teach them again this week, and they were super busy with exams and said they would call the next day if they had time. Usually that means that we would have to call the next day and follow up, but 15 minutes later Robert called back and said they could come and was wondering if he could bring a few friends! So Friday evening, we met up in center and took the bus to the church (15 min) with 5 cool Chinese people. It was awesome! We met at the church because it's closer to one of the members in the Estonian branch, Brother Christopher Chan. Bro Chan was born in Hong Kong-- lived there till he was a teenager, moved to the U.S (Washington state, i'm pretty sure) and then moved to Estonia, where he married an Estonian woman and now has 4 kids with one more on the way. He's one of the funniest people I've ever met-- apparently he joined the church in the states but was never really active until he came here and his wife asked him something about if their family could live together forever, so he remembered about the church, called up the missionaries, and now his whole family is very active and sealed in the temple! He did an awesome job teaching the lesson-- we watched the Finding Happiness video in Mandarin (they all speak Mandarin, all though Bro Chan only speaks Cantonese) and he taught with a lot of good parables/stories. After watching the video, one of the other guys, whose name is Richard, said "before I watched the movie, I didn't really know why I am here. But now, I just want to help people!" I was just blown away. Definitely one of those almost too good to be true moments. All throughout the video I just had a really strong feeling that Heavenly Father knows every one of his children and prepares them to have a chance, sooner or later, to hear about the gospel. They weren't able to make it to church yesterday, but really wanted to and they said they will come next week. They'll probably attend the Estonian branch because there are a lot more English speakers (we teach them in English) and Bro Chan goes to that branch. But from the way it's looking, there might have to be an Estonian Chinese branch soon-- or at least a Chinese-speaking Sunday school class!

Do you remember when I was a wittle guy and told you that I wanted to serve a mission "someplace where they have good chinese food?" That dream is kind of coming true! We haven't had dinner with our chinese friends yet, but apparently Fiona loves to cook- so we'll see. Do you also remember when I said I was "addicted to candy?" Old habits die hard. We devoured the goodies from the package, and then I decided that I'm going to go a month without eating any sweets. Part of that was inspired by Dad who would go on those kind of diets, and I use to think it was nuts but now it sounds like a fun challenge. But mostly there's this one activity in PMG that talks about giving up a habit in order to try to better understand how investigators feel when they give up addictions to live by the commandments. We are teaching two 21 year old guys from our English class, Leo and Ilya, and they came to conference last week, and church yesterday, and they are progressing really well. We invited them to be baptized on Tuesday, and they said yes! Leo even said "of course", so Thursday we taught them with some youth members about the word of wisdom. They know about it, because they had heard about it before in spiritual thoughts so it wasn't anything new, we just needed to commit them to live by it. So when we asked them to if they will live by the word of wisdom, Leo said, sure we'll start after we're baptized. Haha. We explained that it doesn't quite work that way. But they said they would start to live it, so I thought that cutting off the sweets would be a a good way to sympathize and understand. It's only been three days, but I feel a little difference (especially after a week off chowing down cake and all-sorts!) but it's definitely tough! I'm grateful that for the rest of my life, candy is not against the word of wisdom.

We have watched 3 sessions of general conference in Russian, and the saturday morning session in English, and we will finish the rest of the english sessions this week! I'm so so excited. Even though watching in Russian is fun and I can understand what they're saying, it still means a lot more in English and the jokes are a lot funnier. Some of the themes I've picked up are the emphasis of focusing on living the gospel as a family, and relying on faith in Christ. I appreciate General Conference more and more as time goes on. It also makes me realize how much I love and am grateful for and miss my family! I was feeling especially family sick on Sunday, just being at church with the members and their families and Elder Nelson's talk and those adorable pictures and so of course i started to think about Tate! And then I really liked Elder Anderson's talk. I don't know why it had never really clicked with me so clealy before but he said a line that hit me hard. I'm not even sure if it's something he said, but it's at least what I heard" The Atonement of Jesus Christ is what makes it possible for families to live together forever." So whether separated by distance, or death, if you know that your family will be together forever, you can take comfort in that everything will be ok. At that point I started bawling like a baby, but not because I was sad. I felt a lot of peace and warmth, and it was yet another confirmation to me that the Gospel of Jesus Chirst is the only way to eternal happiness.

One last piece of sad/mostlyhappy news came Saturday evening when we called Karl in Finland to see how he's doing. He said that he FINISHed his work on the yahct and will probably be coming back within the next few days. Sad because he was really excited about having work, but he even sounded happy about the idea of coming back to Tallinn. I asked him if he still wants to be baptized and he said "of course!" He's passed his interview and is ready, so the plan is for him to come to church this Sunday and then he could be baptized next saturday, the 24th. That's in 12 days! Woo-hoo. Life is good.

Love, Elder Barnes #12

P.s. the last picture was last thursday evening which happened to be Elder Reid's birthday! So the candles/balloons came right on time! I tried to show the Baltic smile in the pic with the pink elephant cake, but the first picture is my favorite. They are so awesome!

No comments: