Welcome to the Sager Family Blogspot. Please post your ballgames, Phase 10 victories, motorcyle trips, family pictures, and missionary updates.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happy Memorial Day! from Peter Barnes

Dear Family,

I'm so happy to hear the news and see the pictures of Tate! He looks happy, healthy and I'm happy to hear that his crying usually last for only 20-30 seconds. It seems like Christopher and Bethany are perfect parents and I'm so excited to meet the little guy! On Friday evening I called Robert to make sure we would still be able to meet Saturday, I asked him what was new and he said "well your brother sent me a picture of his baby!" Hahaha, I was so happy. A little jealous that he got to see him before I did but definitely not complaining because I got to see him three days early. He brought a picture on his phone to the lesson on Saturday and it was so cool to see him, like Mom said--a one-two connection set up by Heavenly Father. Robert is doing great and we had a solid lesson with him on Saturday. At the end of the lesson, I asked him if he wanted to give the closing prayer and he said "I think that you should say it because you are so happy because you saw your brother's baby."

This week has been packed and we're teaching some great people. On Friday we went out to Maardu (the small city a little outside of Tallinn) and we taught a few new lessons. One was to the kid named Edik who is the European swimming champion. He's a believing kid and he was so happy when we gave him the Book of Mormon, and we taught him on a bench because it was beautiful outside. When we gave him the Book of Mormon he immediately stood up and gave us big handshakes (a Russian way to say thank you). He then held the book out and we were all looking at it. Right then, bloop, a bird flows over head and dropped off his digested lunch right on the cover above the title. We had our eyes fixed on the book, and just started busted up laughing. It's a Russian superstition that when a bird poops on you it's good luck. But we still gave him a new book.

On Sunday a progressing investigator named Segei came to church and he's really cool. He's 20, lives outside the city and works a few jobs to support him and some family members, and is trying really hard to quit smoking. He changed his schedule so that he could come to church, and stayed the whole time. Later that day Robert had his baptismal interview and came to the Estonian sacrament meeting. Afterwards we met up with Brother Chan (who has born in Hong Kong but lived for 6 years and was Baptized in Portland, Oregon) and we planned out the details for the service. It was announced in church, we had the clothes and talks all good to go, and Robert was really excited. Later that evening we were making phone calls to get the key indicators and Robert called. He asked to talk to me and asked if he could change his baptismal date. I was hoping he meant from Saturday, to Friday or something, but he explained that he called his parents to tell them and his dad wanted him to "explain why he wanted to join the Mormons." I don't know all the details but I know that he's a captain in the Chinese Army. His mother was supportive of him joining, mostly because Robert still wants to and feels this is the right step. We asked him to think about it and pray and we'll make a decision in the next day or two. It's definitely Robert's decision, and it's clear is that he just doesn't want to dishonor his parents (which as Elder Jenkins pointed out, is also a commandment). I'm confident that Robert will make the best decision and if Heavenly Father really wants Robert to be baptized now, he'll tell him that. It's hard for me not to be biased because I would love to see him be baptized, but if worse comes to worst, he'll be baptized when he comes back for studies in August. But either way, it's a comfort to know it's the Lord's work and he's got a plan to make His will happen. Please keep Robert and his family in your prayers though, and I'll keep you updated next week.

Whew next week will be my last e-mail. That's kinda nuts. It still hasn't sunk all the way in, and I'm continuing to love every day here and we're doing all that we can. But that doesn't mean that I'm not super excited to see you in less than 12 days! I love you and am so grateful for the love and support you've given me the last two years. You're the best!

Love, Elder Barnes #12

We're in Riga today for the day and then I'll come back here next Wednesday and we'll fly out Thursday morning. I'll still e-mail next Monday so then I might now more details about that stuff. Sorry I haven't had time to respond to individual e-mails, but I'll see you soon! Woo-hoo!

No comments: